How do I protect my company’s copyrights?August 20, 2012
What is a trademark or service mark?December 8, 2012
Registering your copyrights in the United States Copyright Office gives you these benefits:
- It is a public record of your claim of copyright ownership in the work
- You may use the United States federal courts to protect your copyrights
- It will aid in your efforts to prevent importation of infringing copies of your work
- Your registration will serve as evidence in court of the validity of your copyright claim, provided you register your claim either before you publish your work, or within 5 years after you publish your work
- Provided you register you claim of copyright no later than 3 months after you first publish your work and prior to any infringement, you will have the right to claim statutory damages and attorney’s fees if you are forced to sue someone for infringing your copyrights.